Become a Volunteer
Become a volunteer
Shellharbour City Libraries and Museum greatly appreciate the role of volunteers, who extend and support what we do.
Some of the benefits of being a volunteer are;
- sharing your skills and learning something new
- meeting people and making new friends
- playing an active role in the community
What do library volunteers do?
Library volunteers participate in a number of different activities depending on their skills, interests and the availability of suitable tasks.
Some of the tasks that library volunteers can undertake;
- assisting with displays
- assisting with providing training to members of the community with clever technology and basic computing skills
- assisting with end processing of books and materials
- shelf checking
- tidying/cleaning collection areas
- assisting with the preparation for events and activities including, school holiday programs, etc.
- assisting with local history projects
What are the responsibilities of volunteers?
- participate in ongoing training
- operate in accordance with relevant Council Policies and procedures including Council’s Code of Conduct
- carry out work performance with punctuality and reliability
- treat visitors and members of the community with courtesy, respect and consideration
- treat fellow volunteers and staff members with courtesy, respect and consideration
- contribute positively to the organisation
- operate under the directive of Council staff to achieve the required outcomes
- not to represent themselves as a paid staff member of Council
- report any unsafe work environment to Libraries and Museum team
- report any injury or damage to themselves or a third party
All volunteers working with children and young people are required to complete a Working with Children Volunteer check.
For more information visit Service NSW.
How to become a library volunteer?
If you’d like to become a library volunteer, please complete the volunteer application form .
If we decide that your skills and experience are suitable for the library, we will contact you about attending an informal interview. Where applications are not suitable we will let you know.
How to become a museum volunteer?
If you’d like to volunteer for the museum. Please contact the Museum Curator on 4256 6698 for more details.